Ákara (bean cake) is vegetarian-friendly. Can be eaten as a meal or a snack. The end result is crispy, golden, tasty, downright irresistible, and quite filling. It serves as a meat alternative in burgers or sandwich.
Ingredients: Black eyed Beans (*Tip: buy dry ready peeled beans. Much much convenient), Sunflower oil, diced Onions, Salt, Stock cubes, Chilli pepper (optional).
- (If unpeeled) Soak in water for about 10 minutes.
- Peel off the skin with your hands, by squeezing the beans a handful at a time (the hard way).
- When it seems to have all peeled, rinse off with water using a sieve to collect the water/skin (that way you can pick out the beans that may have poured with the water. Rinse multiple times to ensure all the skin drains off. –(If using ready peeled beans) Simply rinse in water twice and commence from No. 4.
- Blend the peeled beans with the pepper, salt, stock cube and a little water to a slightly thick rough texture.
- Pour the mixture into a clean bowl.
- Stir in the diced onions.
- Preheat the oil and scoop the mixture by spoonfuls about the size of an egg, into the pan and deep fry.
- Fry till golden brown! Yum! Yum! Yum!
PER-SO-NA ” Yes! I am of the Yoruba tribe, I can still be – all other things”